Roomate Freshman Year

As a freshman, it was required for students who lived more than 30 miles outside of the school's radius to live on-campus. I wanted to meet new people, so I didn't go for the single room option, which meant getting a roommate. Finding a roommate was a long but fun process. We both took these tests to see what kind of person we were (morning person, loud person, messy, etc.). In the end, you had a list from which you could pick one person to live with. I looked at the list and read their bio to see how the person was. I'm a morning person and can be messy at times, so I wanted someone in the middle as well.

 After finding my person, I met with her and got to know her (to make sure she wasn't crazy or anything).We shall name said roommate Ashley. After living with Ashley for a few months I noticed she was not going out much (other than to class) nor had any friends, so I decided to introduce her to my friends. Boy was that a mistake. After introducing her to people, she latched on to me for everything. Everywhere I went she wanted to go. At one point she wanted to go party with me (her parents did not like her going out), so she wanted me to sneak her past her brother who lived in the same dorm as us. What in the world?

 Fast forward a few months of getting to know each other. Ashley began acting mean towards one of my friends, so I asked her why? She said she was jealous of the bond I had with my friend and didn't like the fact that I hung out with others and not her. I began to distance my self from her. This did not help. She would facetime her parents every single day sometimes like three times a day and talk about me, while I was in the room. One time I walked in on her literally talking about what I had done the previous day and what I was doing the next morning.

 Fast forward some more months, and things got even weirder. I asked if I could use her tv (she was the one who wanted to bring her own tv & said there was no point in having two). One day she came back and got mad that I hadn't put the tv back (which she always did because she was taller & it required me having to get on her desk). I apologized and went on with my day. I get a call about the room being messy, which I replied: "I'll clean it later." That did not go well with her parents. Yes. She got her parents involved because my side of the dorm was not clean enough to their standards (literally it was a blanket or two on the ground). Her parents started calling me non stop to go"clean the room." They threatened to call my parents if I didn't clean it. I had a busy day that day and had sorority thing I could not mess, so I went back later that night. I went back to find my hair straightener broken. When I asked her about it, she said I had to call her mom because she could not talk to me. She called her mom, and according to her mom, it was my fault for leaving it on the ground.

We ended up moving past it since we were going to be stuck living with each other for a year. I at least moved past it all. Things seemed off. She would do little things to annoy me every so often. One example would be to wake me up in the morning either with her tv or by facetime(ing) her parents. I was okay with it but not at the crack of dawn every morning, literally, it felt like it was happening every morning. At one point I started going out more often to avoid her and just do my thing. I guess she did not approve because she ended up telling my parents and telling them everything I was doing and how I went out too much and needed help. This lead to me ignoring her. I would literally go to my dorm to sleep and shower then leave. This must have driven her insane because one day I came to the dorm room and found it cleaned out. She ended up moving out of the form to a single dorm. I could write a book about all the different things this girl put me through. I'd rather keep that for another blog post.

I do hope Ashley is well and doing awesome things in life. 

Moral of the story be careful who you trust and pick to live with because they can be oddballs. Make sure to meet with the person you are going to live with before living with them. Check their social media, interview friends/family, check their credit score. Just kidding, but really do some thorough research before deciding they are the ones you are going to be sharing a tight living space with.








This was my view from my dorm. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freshman Year (food and friends)

Picking the Right College

Why I decided to blog