Freshman Year (food and friends)

The first year of college was me trying to figure out who I was. I was hanging out with various people, trying new things, and not sleeping much. I was away from home for the first time. This gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted and EAT whatever I wanted at all hours of the night. Let me tell you, the freshman fifteen is very real. I was eating junk food and fast food 24/7. I lived in a dorm, so all we had in our room was a tiny fridge and a microwave. This meant I was buying a lot of frozen food and heating it up later. The kitchen was a community kitchen, and it was down the hall. I was too lazy to always cook, and I didn't bring pans that year. I was always on the go from class to class or sorority event, and fast food was convenient. When finals came around, all I had was coffee and energy drinks to pull all-nighters (bad idea). I did have a meal pass which allowed me to eat at the two dining halls we have on campus. I lived near one of the dining halls which weren't a popular one because it was so far from everything. I loved it because it was convenient and never full.They had plenty of food to pick from and even more desserts to fill your heart's desire. Looking back now, I wish I would have kept a list of healthy foods and stuck by it. At the top of this page is an actual list of the things I bought.
When it came to friends, I wanted to meet new people. I met some people who loved to party. In high school, I wasn't really the partying type. Once, I got to college that's when it changed. I was such a curious cat. I had recently broken up with my boyfriend and wanted something to help me forget about it which lead me to party all the time. At one point I was partying three days a week. I was taking risks left and right. I was still going to class, but my grades were not the best. Of course, I was able to keep this lifestyle on the down-low for the longest time. I was becoming to use to it that all I wanted to do was a party. There's nothing wrong with partying but keeping a balance between school work and continuously going out was hard. I was in a new town with new faces, so I wanted to blend in. Keep in mind I live in a city where there is not much to do.The closest mall is about 30-45 minutes away. You can only shop so much until it gets boring. I also didn't have a job to keep me busy, so I had a lot of free time, on my hands.
I had just joined a sorority, and a few of the girls liked going out, so I went too. I met this one girl who was adventures and very out there. You could tell this was her first time away from home. Literally, she always wanted others to do things for her. She wanted rides, invites everywhere, to borrow your clothes, money, etc. This was not a problem (at first). As time went on, she wanted to go out but didn't have money. She wanted to go to places but needed outfits. She was a good time because she knew when and where all the parties were but it became too much.She would invite you out, but you had to drive. Once you'd let her borrow money, you would never get it back. Some friends and I learned that the hard way. She was the devil on your shoulders telling you to "skip this class" and "skip that assignment." Do your homework later and party now. I wanted to see this lifestyle through so of course from time to time I would do homework later (and get up early to finish it). I was lying to people about where I was or where I was going. I was becoming this different person. She was hard to say "no" to because she would throw tantrums if she didn't get her way. She was the kind of person who did you a favor and never let you forget. If you ever told her a secret or did anything embarrassing she would hold it over your head.

She was a good time, but that was all. She exposed me to the different side of college that one sees in movies but doesn't actually partake in. I'm glad I met her early in my college career because it helped me grow as a person. After a few months went by I decided to cut our friendship off. It was one of those things that were sucking the energy out of you. It also got all of the partying out of the way because as the semesters went on, I was less interested in always going out. Being a Jr now, I'm literally a grandma. I don't always enjoy staying out past 11:00 nor being away from my apartment too long. I rather stay in and watch movies with friends. This in the end also saved me tons of money.

Moral of the story is to plan ahead. Make a list of (healthy) groceries and stick to it. When it comes to friends make sure you pick the right ones. I have found my self sourrounded with the best of friends who guide me in the right path.

  **The people in these photos do not depict the content of this blog.These photos are the ones I found from freshman year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picking the Right College

Why I decided to blog