Picking the Right College

I am the first in my family to go to college, so finding the "right one" was scary. I had decent grades so, I was getting scholarships to pay for most of my education. My fear was going somewhere too far from home and not being able to see my parents (and annoying sister) when I wanted to.

I was also 18, so I wanted that freedom of being far enough that my parents couldn't check up on me every weekend. I wanted a fresh start. I did not want to go to a school where everyone in my high school was going. This is what helped me narrow it down.

  • Cost 
    • In state schools 
    • Anything outside of my state would cost me more out of pocket and HOPE would not count 
    • Private colleges tend to be more expensive than public colleges
    • Is one offering more aid/scholarship money 
  • Size 
    • I also wanted it to be small 
      •  I didn't want to get lost 
    • I wanted something more intimate where I could get one-on-one with my professors 
      • You don't want to just be a number
    • Not too small that everyone would know me and my business 
  • Location 
    • I didn't want to be more than 3 hours away 
    • Anything too close would allow me to live at home (wasn't happening)
    • I didn't want distractions around the college 
  • Programs 
    • Do they offer the major I want?
      • That's a big thing because you want to pursue what you're passionate about
    • I was not sure I wanted to be Greek but wanted the option 
      • I picked schools that offered Greek life 
      • Do they have houses on campus 
    • I wanted them to have a range of programs for me to be involved in 
      • Arts, sports, etc. 
  • Freshman requirements
    • Is it mandatory to live on campus
    • Can they have cars on campus 
    • Do they have to buy the meal plans 
  • Reviews 
    • Niche 
    • Cappex
    • Collegeboard 
      • See what other students are saying 

Preparing for college: Make sure to take your ACT/SAT's early so you have time to re-take them if you don't get the score you want. I took both to see which one was better for me (more math or science-based). Taking AP (advanced placement) courses really do help when you get to college. Even if you do not get a passing score on the AP exam the courseload prepares you for the college workload. Get involved while in high school (join clubs, play an instrument or sport, get leadership positions, recommendations from teachers) because this will help you look like a well-rounded student which colleges love. Do everything early! Dp your College Application as soon as possible because you will require paperwork and recommendations from teachers. This is very important. Look at the school(s) you want to attend and check their deadlines. The later you wait means a rushed process (which doesn't usually end well). 

I took a tour of every college that seemed nice (literally). I looked at the food they served, the dorms they offered, the people, places, parking, etc. I also applied early, so that If I did not get into a particular school, then I'd have time to apply elsewhere. 

In the end, I found my home away from home. I love where I go to college and wouldn't change it for the world.


This is Greek Village 


Comments

  1. Stummbled upon your blog from a Facebook group and just wanted to say it’s very good. I like your writing style a lot. And sorry you had to deal with “Ashley”!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Freshman Year (food and friends)

Why I decided to blog